What is Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG)?
Beckfoot Upper Heaton is a learning community in which we all; staff, students and parents, share a common set of values to enjoy, to learn and to succeed.
Our Careers Education programme is designed to meet the needs of learners at Beckfoot Upper Heaton. Activities are personalised to ensure progression in their career learning and development, and to strengthen their motivation, aspirations and attainment.
A young person’s career reflects the progress they make in learning and work. It is part of the vision and mission of Beckfoot Upper Heaton that no learners will become ‘Not in Education Employment or Training’ (NEET). We believe that all learners need a planned programme of activities to help them choose Year 8 to Year 11 pathways that are right for them and to be able to manage their careers, sustain employability and achieve personal and economic wellbeing throughout their lives.
Beckfoot Upper Heaton recognises that it has a statutory duty to provide careers education in Years 7 – 11 and to give learners access to impartial careers information, education and guidance. We are committed to providing a planned programme of impartial careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) for all learners in Years 7 – 11, in partnership with engaged providers; and to provide extra support as required for learners with additional needs. Beckfoot Upper Heaton endeavours to follow best practice guidance from the careers profession, from other expert bodies such as Ofsted and from Government departments that might appear from time to time.
Careers Education Curriculum
Outlined below is an overview of the types of experiences students will access at different stages:
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10||Year 11|
|Nell Bank Trip to develop life skills||GCSE options choice interviews||Futures First - giving access to employers||Work experience||Post 16 choices|
|Careers Fair||Careers Fair||‘Prison Me! No-Way!’||Careers Fair||Personal Careers Advice|
|Careers Fair||Careers Fair|
Year Group Activities Explained
- Nell Bank: all Year 7 will attend Nell Bank and take part in a number of team building activities on their journey to develop life skills followed by a Wider Learning Day later in the year to further develop life skills.
- GCSE option choices: students at Beckfoot Upper Heaton choose their GCSE options during Year 8. Students receive an individual conversation with a senior member of staff to help them make the right decision. This culminates in a parents evening whereby students and parents can discuss options with subject teachers. Each student will attend a Personal Careers Education Advice session.
- Wider Learning Day: Year 9 students will have a full day with ‘Prison Me! No-Way!’ who are a national educational charity with a core aim of raising awareness among young people about the causes, consequences and penalties of crime. Their programmes are designed to help 8 to 18 year olds from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds; they are top quality, accessible, flexible and effective and most of all help equip students with the skills to make informed decisions and choices. Each student will attend a Personal Careers Education Advice session.
- World of Work (WoW): Year 10 students complete a week of work experience with an employer. Our careers team work closely with students and tutors to prepare students for this and ensure they have an enjoyable and productive experience (and maybe even a part time job at the end of it!) Each student will attend a Personal Careers Education Advice session and WoW session. Wider Learning Day; students will take part in a full day of Careers Education at an employer’s site where they will experience a variety of employment based activities and have opportunities to discuss a variety of careers with employees.
- Post 16 Choices: Year 11 students will receive at least one Personal Careers Advice session to discuss their next steps following their GCSE exams. There will be many opportunities for students to have contact with employers, Post 16 providers, Apprenticeship providers throughout the year.
Activities For All Year Groups
Careers Education assemblies will be delivered each half term and there will be careers lessons delivered throughout the year. Students will be given access to employers and the World of Work at various points throughout the academic year and given updates on the current Labour Market. All students will have access to our Careers Education Personal Advisor at break times and will be able to explore Careers in our Careers corner in the LRC daily.
- Wider Learning Days: on these days, students are off normal timetable and take part in varying activities linked to Careers Education around such themes as STEM. Sessions may often be delivered via external agencies and speakers.
- College and University taster days: these will run with individuals and groups of students throughout the year based on interest and availability.
- Guest speakers, industry experts and outside agencies: students will be invited to presentations from industry experts, careers agencies, former Beckfoot Upper Heaton students as well as parents to offer specific industry advice. This also includes the Speakers for Schools programme. If Parents/Carers are keen to involve themselves in this then please contact our CEIAG Lead, Stephanie Lowther email@example.com.